a 10-week program focused on music creation & collaboration for sync licensing
The Workout: Sync Licensing is a collaborative program for intermediate to advanced musicians looking to level up their songwriting, production, and business acumen to become better equipped for success in the world of sync licensing. Through the process of creating music for actual industry briefs*, trying out new skills, methods, and approaches to writing and producing, and participating in peer and professional critiques, artists will increase their marketability in the sync world for placements through Assemble Sound and beyond.
*Brief: An outline of the sync licensing project sent by a client. Including but not limited to: budget, placement description, length, genre, etc.
The Workout: Sync Licensing is for artists who are focused on making a career (or serious hustle) for their music and have a vision for their progress. In order to participate, artists must have applied or plan to apply for sync representation from Assemble Sound by the end of 2021.* The Workout will be entirely virtual and a free subscription to Zoom will be required for participation. Because artists will be submitting original music in response to briefs, the ability to self-record and produce music is a prerequisite for participation. In order to benefit from the program, artists must be open and willing to participate in self-reflection and constructive feedback as tools for improvement and growth. We’ll all be learning and leveling up together!
*If you already have a publishing and/or sync deal, you are still eligible for The Workout. Please let us know your circumstance in your application.
Each week will consist of two sessions (two hours each). Sessions will explore:
- Songwriting for sync based on popular recent industry briefs
- Production for sync placements
- Mixing/mastering for sync
- Music business and sync
- Perspectives from professional artists, music supervisors, sync agents
- Placement examples and analysis
Dates & Times
- May 17th – July 20th (Monday & Tuesday nights, 6-8 pm*)
*We will not have class on Memorial Day (Monday, May 31) or the July 4th Holiday (Monday, July 5). For the weeks spanning those holidays, classes will be held on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, 6 – 8 PM
- Online: Download Zoom for free here.
- Free (participation in assignments and critiques is required)
How do we choose which musicians get to take the Workout?
The ideal Workout participant is a musician…
- whose vision and artistic commitment are clear through the links and written entries submitted.
- who is community-minded (i.e. open to collaboration, excited to share skills and experience, willing to test new approaches, and ready to support and respect others in the process).
- who represents a unique perspective, background, style, and/or musical skillset.
*While songwriting and production quality are part of the scoring process, we also score based upon representation. We believe this program has the most potential when the group is comprised of gifted, community-minded musicians who represent diverse backgrounds, abilities, skillsets, and experience.
Apply for The Workout
Applications are now closed for this round of The Workout!